Welcome Back for the 2021-2022 School Year!August 2021
Dear Auburn Families,
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year! We are very happy to be starting the 2021-2022 school year with full in-person instruction five days a week for all students in Grades K through 12. Of course, this school year will continue to look very different from a typical school year, but the fact that all of our students can return for in-person instruction is what is most important because we all know that students learn best in the classroom. There are many unknowns as we head into the new academic year, but our primary goal is to keep our doors open for in-person learning five days a week all year long, and we will do whatever we need to do to make that happen.
Below are some of the health and safety protocols we have in place based on recommendations from the Cayuga County Health Department and guidance from the New York State Education Department.
- Health Screens: Daily temperature checks will continue at the elementary level upon entry into the buildings. Secondary students will need to fill out screening questionnaires online prior to or upon arrival.
- Face Masks: All students and employees will be required to wear masks correctly and consistently regardless of their vaccination status while on buses and inside any school buildings. Face masks will not be required outdoors while on school grounds. We will reevaluate the need for face masks regularly based on the most current guidance.
- Social Distancing: We will continue to do our best to socially distance students three feet apart from one another on our buses and in our classrooms as much as possible depending on class and classroom sizes.
- Transportation: All eligible students will be transported by bus to and from school. Everyone is required to wear masks correctly and at all times while riding the bus.
- Lunches: Elementary students will eat in the same pods every day during lunch; secondary students will also eat in the same pods every day during lunch, but they will be allowed to choose their pods. This will limit potential exposures and make any necessary contact tracing easier to conduct.
- Disinfecting: We will continue to disinfect our school buildings every day, as we did throughout the previous school year.
- Air Purification: The district is utilizing its federal COVID relief funds to install air purifiers in every classroom, cafeteria, and gymnasium. These air purifiers have been known to completely eliminate the coronavirus from air particles, which will make our school buildings that much safer.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we tackle another unprecedented school year. On behalf of the Board of Education and administration, thank you for your continued support of the Auburn Enlarged City School District. We look forward to seeing all of our students on Tuesday, September 7!
Superintendent of Schools
Auburn Enlarged City School District